Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

In Service Training


Here at IST I’ve been learning some pretty interesting information.  We’ve discussed topics such as field crops, integrated pest management, seed collection and storage, and grafting.  I grafted my first mango trees the other day and so far my scions have not died.  I tried both the whip and tongue method and the budding method of grafting.  The basic premise is to combine a strong local rootstock tree, which usually have less desirable fruit, with a scion of a fruit variety in higher demand.  This is a way to increase the survivability of the tree while still producing higher quality fruit.  Here are some how to videos about grafting, led by Denba, the same teacher I had here at the center, if you’re interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment