Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Glitter


I concede that I am a hippy.  Vegetarian (well, vegetarian on vacation), organic, earthy, open air farmer’s market, loud indie folk music from a politically vocal but barely running car, naked toes in the musky soil, sleeping in tents and barely bathing in highway rest areas, environmental science major- hippy.  Save the earth! t-shirts with third hand thrift store jeans, knee high woolen socks and Birkenstocks; I am there!  But I have a confession to make.  I love glitter.  It doesn’t quite fit the picture; I have yet to find a sequined organic linen skirt, or all natural sparkle eye shadow.  I have quenched my thirst for the glitz with annual doses of bedazzled bathing suites and layers of waterproof makeup.  I have never disclosed the fact that behind my earth toned façade there lay a plastic paradise of all things shiny just waiting to be taken out on the occasional weekend.  But now she has found her home!  There is so much glam here Senegal that on a holiday a drag queen might have trouble getting noticed.  Jewelry is big, loud, and shiny.  Shoes are high and bright.  Makeup is obnoxious and clothes can make you dizzy.  Subtlety is not a word that applies to Senegalese dress and while the more sensible part of me is slightly ill from the gaudiness, another part of me is absolutely thrilled!  I am now the proud owner of an entirely sequined shirt.  It is golden and I love it.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see a picture of you modeling that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I absolutely LOVED this entry. Please do show us this shirt sometime soon^^.

    <3 Em
    (ps you'd love Korea - when I get back from vacation I'll send you the most glittery thing I can find)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gold sparkly shirt would look great on you! They do have sparkly all natural eye shadow. actually a lot of it is made from minerals in the first place :) I'll find some for you.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete