Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Half Marathon

Hello Friends and Family!

I am here in Senegal, giving up two years of comfortable life and the value of whatever work I could be doing in America, in attempts to help the Senegalese help themselves develop into a healthier, more sustainable country. I have not only donated my time, but now I am going one step further and am training to run a half marathon for the cause of women's education. I am now shamelessly, in accordance with Senegalese culture, asking for sponsors for my run.

Students in Senegal have to pay for their education, and although the fee is not substantial, it can become a strain on Senegalese families. The large families sometimes make it necessary for fathers to chose which children they can afford to send to school. Often the education of girls is viewed as superfluous because they are only expected to get married, have children, and take care of household matters. Nothing requiring an education. When you automatically exclude half of the population from your intelligence pool your country lags behind. It's important to tap into all available brainpower in order to solve tough West African development problems. Women's viewpoints are crucial to solving problems like desertification, malnourishment, and poor infrastructure. I am trying to help Senegalese people realize how important keeping their girls in school is, and begin to make that a priority in their lives. The money raised from the race will be used for scholarships that PC volunteers give out throughout Senegal to young, intelligent women who are at risk of being taken out of school. The scholarship pays for the next year's school fee and buys them school supplies. Most importantly it shows their communities that keeping girls in school is a priority. It brings pride to their families and their fathers are more likely to notice the potential in their female children. Their potential to study, learn, earn money, help make important decisions, and help to begin solving some of Senegal's issues.

I am running this half marathon to show my Senegalese community and my friends and family back home how strongly I believe in women's education. If you also believe that this is integral to making a lasting difference in the lives of Senegalese people, or at least trust me that I find this an effective development method, then please donate by using the link below.



Then click on Donate
Fill in credit card information at the prompt
Write: "Marathon for Education" in the comments section so the money comes to us!

The great thing about developing nations is that even nominal donations, like $5 can go so far!

Thank you from all the present and future women in Senegal (me included)!

No comments:

Post a Comment